Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Online privacy and targeted advertising


I have heard all the dire warnings about how corporations are gobbling up my personal information and know far more about me than I would like. I suppose it's true. I will sometimes go to the privacy settings for Facebook or Google or some other place and set them to be more restrictive. But then within a year or two they change it and I have to go back in and do it again, some different way. A person gets tired. I don't read privacy policies any more closely than I read user agreements when they install software. Does anyone? I could disable cookies, but cookies are actually very convenient in customizing my personal experience.

One reason I'm not upset enough to take vigorous action is that the reason they are doing this (as far as we know) is to more precisely target the advertising they give me to be more relevant. Well, if I have to look at advertising, surely it's better the more likely it is to be relevant. Studies show that people are susceptible to various devious tricks and are being manipulated by all advertising. But I figure that's my problem. (On those rare occasions I watch TV, I deliberately get up and do something else when the ads come on). I don't know how anyone could legislate the removal of subtle manipulation in advertising. Perhaps I should be upset because this same data could be used for more intrusive purposes if it got into the wrong hands. I guess I'm just not in practice taking that possibility all that seriously.

Four years ago I experienced the ultimate in targeted advertising. I was looking for a new small car, focusing on the Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit. I used Google search. As a result, I started getting advertising related to cars, and it continued after I had bought my Yaris. One picture showed me not just a Yaris, and not just one of the same color (blue) -- it was a picture of the actual car I had bought, which I could identify by the background of the photo showing the lot where I had first seen it. The advertising certainly was precisely targeted!

No comments: